[MLB-WIRELESS] MAC Filtering?

Mark Aitken nodegxt at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 6 09:21:46 EST 2005

Hi ppl,

A question if you dont mind......

presently my wireless system consists of 2 seperate lans, my local+wireless and my internet lans.  Both are treated seperately with the internet being seperated from the wireless nodes.

Recently I have added a linux RH7.0 router to link the 2 segments via a firewall, ipchains.  (simple Siliconchip rc.firewall script). In this rc.firewall I have only 1 IP_address allowed to pass through the firewall to the internet, my laptop. Nothing else.  This however is easy to overcome by someone externely by simply setting their computer to that IP_address, also no challange to some people.

My Question, can I MAC filter at the LINUX PC's level while maintaining OPEN wireless access to others on the wireless LAN, no MAC filtering, no WEP?  ie, only allow the MAC of my laptop + that IP_address through?

Also,  is there a reason to migrate from good ole IPCHAINS to IPTABLES or someother firewall suite (shorewall, etc)?

Regards

Mark