[MLB-WIRELESS] Minitar WEP Problem - Please Help!

Rob Clark clark at freenet-antennas.com
Mon Sep 27 09:54:47 EST 2004

Let me add this:

1) MAC Address re-write 'bug' in Minitar MNWAPB.
This bug (or more correctly: strict adherence to the standard) is no
longer a problem. Just this weekend I reconfigured 3 MNWAPB that are
part of the WA Freenet so that conections like the one below work
perfectly:

[PC]---[AP]......[MNWAPB/client]-----[Router]-----[Internet]

With V2.53 firmware in the MNWAPB/client, the PC can now 'see' the
internet. The trick is that V2.53 allows the MNWAPB to use a MAC address
that you specify. So you specify the MAC address of the router. Problem
Solvered!

2) MNWAPB/SVEC compatibility.
I have not explicitly checked WAP compatibility, but I can confirm a
MNWAPB/client connects easily to an SVEC-FD1811-A/AP with WEP off. Did
it this weekend.

With WEP, different manufacturers use different formats (sometimes) for
the way you need to enter WEP keys. Some expect you to enter WEP keys in

- HEX
- ASCII
- ???

The WEP problem may be an issue with the way the manufactures want you
to enter the (same) keys. Just a thought.

Rob Clark