[MLB-WIRELESS] "USB Desktop Internet Phone (NetPhone)" $89.892 at Rockby

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Fri Sep 10 05:00:08 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Clae wrote:

> >Some of you guys might be interested in this:
> >
> >http://www.rockby.com.au/Rockby/Mailer/010904_1.htm
> >

> The "traveller's phone" below and to the left looks like it would go
> well with a small Ethernet-Wifi bridge and a battery ...

That's what I was thinking earlier, although it may end up being a little
bulky once you put it all together. Perhaps you could make it a bagphone
or carphone instead. ;)

If the phone is able to do DHCP and you can configure a specific internet
directory address (where to "phone home" to) then in theory you could use
it with any net-connected AP that you have access to.

*** hunts around google ***

This PDF has images that match the Rockby products, but there's no mention
of ethernet on the KU1120 (handheld) and KU1130 (desktop). The KE1020A -
which doesn't match the Rockby pics - definitely mentions a 10BaseT port,
plus DHCP support, even PPPoE.

http://www.mynetphone.info/uploads/Netphone_Euro.pdf
http://www.mynetphone.info/

More links found...

http://www.netphone.net.au/TheNetphoneKU1130.htm
http://www.netphone.net.au/regularphoneku1120.htm
http://www.netphone.net.au/

Again these don't mention ethernet. Looks like the Rockby info may be
incorrect. :( The KE1020A model is priced at $AUD202.95 on that site so I
doubt that's what Rockby are selling.

Cheers.