[MLB-WIRELESS] Optical Data Link

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 7 23:01:27 EST 2004

At 3:08 PM +1000 7/9/2004, Richard wrote:
>What do these things use then? IR LEDs or something?
>I think they would be susceptible to some interference from the Sun
>and heavy rain/fog, so not completely noise free, but at least you
>don't have to share with phones and microwaves. :)
>
>You might be able to convince someone like Jaycar to set the kits
>up, especially considering they're completely open source designs.

Yeah or Oatley Electronics in Sydney.
http://www.oatleyelectronics.com

>>Disadvantages
>>* Fairly short range (1.4km)
>>* Time consuming to build, not available pre-built or even in kit form
>>yet.
>>* Not capable of point-to-multipoint operation

It might be possible to split the signal optically (one LED with beam
splitters or mirrors) or electrically (ie two LEDs).  The first would
cut down your range by half I'd assume.

>>I'd be interested to see if there are ways to legally increase the range

Is there *any* legal restriction on the visible spectrum?

Clae.

--
"I've often performed and recorded with this instrument and its sound
is excellent.