[MLB-WIRELESS] Highly Directional Antennas?

Jason Clarke melbwireless at clarkey.id.au
Tue Oct 12 01:03:42 EST 2004

Knock on a door? :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryce W" <bryce at brycesworld.com.au>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 10:01 PM
Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] Highly Directional Antennas?

I have been looking into a way to build a highly directional Antenna for use
of pinpointing where AP's are. Accurate enough so that I can confirm that
the AP belongs to a certain house rather than 1 of 3 neighbouring houses. I
can use my Omni to find the general area, just need something to pinpoint.

I have built a few antennas in the past using asian cookware and wireless
USB dongles which worked very well but the signal is too wide. I considerd
building a cantenna however with some basic tests I found that the signal
tends to rebound (i was getting better signals bouncing it off objects
rather than pointing it in the direction the AP is in which was through
walls).

Can anyone suggest a way to build a highly directional antenna?

                                            - Bryce