[MLB-WIRELESS] Bridge versus AP

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Nov 9 10:46:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 19:22, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:
> They should be one and the same.
>
> An Access Point will bridge between your wireless network and your LAN.
>
> Many access points support Point-to-Point bridging mode which means they
> don't accept client connections they only link with another identical AP in
> the same mode and bridge the two LAN's at either location to make them
> appear like one larger LAN.
>
> Idealy if you want to join several LAN's together and not operate as an
> Access Point accepting client connections then bridging is a much better
> suited and more secure option.

The minitars have a weird-ass mode where they act as an AP and bridge at
the same time.. allowing client mode connections _and_ PtP bridge mode
connections from particular AP's in bridge mode.

What is the point of this?

I'm currently using it, but I don't know why :-)

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/