[MLB-WIRELESS] SSIDs and access to the network

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Mon May 31 13:54:54 EST 2004

On 31/05/2004, at 1:33 PM, Dan Flett wrote:

> An issue arising out of the legal discussion we've been having is that
> of permission to use an AP and the SSID of that AP.
>
> With Melbourne Wireless APs we generally want them to be open access -
> and we generally want anyone who connects to them to access the network
> and learn more about it.
>
> I feel that the "nodexxx.wireless.org.au" and similar SSIDs don't
> adequately convey the message that the node is open access to anyone.

The original legal thread was basically a troll as emerged half way
through.

Anyone who sees an MW node and who can use the Internet can look us up
and find out what we are on about. Nobody in the broader community of
potential members is going to be "afraid of legal issues" - they are
not even going to be aware of them.

> Relating to what we've discussed, we don't want anyone to be afraid of
> legal issues when connecting to our APs.
>
> I propose that we use SSIDs like "FreeNet wireless.org.au" or similar
> convey the message at a glance that our APs are open-access -

I think the current system is fine and you would be better off
directing your considerable enthusiasm and talents towards other issues
that this network rollout is confronting.

The term "freenet" implies free Internet access, which for better or
worse is not what MW is on about, and the use of the term will merely
create confusion where none currently exists. I think you're trying to
solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Nothing personal.

Cheers,

Mike