[MLB-WIRELESS] Legal question

Winder winder at iinet.net.au
Sun May 30 17:53:46 EST 2004

 Think you are comparing apples and oranges there. There is a difference big
difference in the roles of both deivces. One is supposed to prevent access
and one is supposed to give it out. However, if a firewall was broadcasting
out all of the information needed to connect to this backdoor, and then
doing it for you with no effort on your part then I would see that as a yes.

 I would like to see the law define what is an open access point and what is
not. And I do not mean someone giving you permission or not. Something like
what was mentioned in a previous post. Some wireless indication of public or
private is needed wether that be a domain name, an SSID or WEP etc vs
nothing at all.

 Considering that we are supposed to be running an free open access public
network, we might actually be helping to blurr the lines about what is open
access and what is not. Some newbie user might connect to someones private
AP and use it thinking that it's this new u-beaut free melbourne wireless
thingy he's been reading about and get them into trouble. They would turn
around and drag us into it.

 Also, what's to stop a mebourne wirless member deciding that he does not
give a certain person that lives up the street that they dislike for some
reason, permission to access their node? Then later, claim this person never
asked for permission and therefore are breaking the law if they do connect
to it? What's MW's stance on this? Are their guidelines etc that we have on
this sort of restriction?

 Wireless networks are pushing the boundries in the community, and the law
needs to move with it I think. But IANAL.

Regards,
g at z.