[MLB-WIRELESS] Combining 2 internet conenctions.

Tim Hogard thogard at knotty.abnormal.com
Mon May 17 14:49:37 EST 2004

> > What they should do is tell Telstra that they aren't getting any
> > new address space unless they share it.  So then they allocate a
> > /19 that is dual routeable to both Telstra and Optus...
>
> This is an interesting idea, but I don't think it's practical or
> commercially viable.
It practical but will force ISPs to cooperate in ways they will
claim aren't commercially viable.

> What happens when your local DSL exchange dies? Your Telstra link is dead,
> but your Optus link is alive and well. Since Telstra are still advertising
> the /19 (including your IP), you've effectively lost access to a large
> portion of the net... many sites will still be sending in via Telstra,
> which cannot deliver the packets to you.
Simple, you broadcast your routes to both yoru upstreams.  They both
have to talk to each other and agree to do so based on the routes
you publish.  I could see where Telstra would bill you
for all the traffic they take and then send on to Optus but in the
case where a link is down, do you care if your business depends on
net access?

> Also, how do you decide the combination of ISPs which will have this
> shared dual address space? Each time you add another one to the list the
> number of separate blocks required increases exponentially (2 ISPs = 2
> blocks, 3 ISPs = 9 blocks, 4 ISPs = 16 blocks), whilst the percentage of
> each individual block that is used will decrease since people have more
> choice.  Sounds like a lot of wasted IP space to me. :)
You decide the same way they currently do.  They fight with APNIC about it
whi makes some rule about what a tier one carrier is and limit it to
them.  Which is fine since all the other guys get their IP address from
on of them anyway.

Another feature is you can overlap address space.  Most countries have
a very limited number of tier one carriers so this isn't as big of
a problem as giving everyone in the world that can trick an *NIC into
giving them an /19 their own address space.  The result is that it would
make most routing tables smaller for the routers that are having the
most problems with the huge tables.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com