[MLB-WIRELESS] External antennas for PC Cards / 100mw cards

Bruce Paterson paterson at tassie.net.au
Mon May 10 13:41:53 EST 2004

http://www.technowarehousellc.com/technowarehouse/whanfor15and.html

Someone asked me if this antenna would be a good purchase for his laptop
(Powerbook with Airport). He can't connect to a WRT54G access point at
the moment, because there are 4 apartments with double-brick walls
between the two. However if he steps outside he can get patchy reception
once in a blue moon.

This device is a whip antenna that you position somewhere near or on your
powerbook.

I gather you install it by disconnecting the internal antenna lead from
your Airport card, plugging in the supplied connector and threading it
out through your PCMCIA slot, and plugging the Whip into that.

I reckon a better alternative would be a 100mw PCMCIA card and plug an
external antenna directly into that.

Are there some good external antennas for PC cards for less than US$90
out there? There must be :-)

Any thoughts?