[MLB-WIRELESS] DIGITAL Tv Tuner & Video Capture Card

Cameron McCormack cam-melbwireless at aka.mcc.id.au
Tue May 4 20:58:05 EST 2004

Chris Samuel:
> I'm using a Hauppage card I brought with me from the UK under Linux quite
> happily, lspci -v says:
>
> 02:03.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH: Unknown device 1005
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
>         Memory at df026000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
>
> I'm using the DVB-T drivers from CVS at linuxtv.org which work well.
>
> > i want to be able to stream it over the network is this possible?
>
> You can, there is a program called dvbstream (Google for it) which can do such
> a thing using multicast.  Of course multicast == broadcast if your routers
> and switches don't know what to do with it.. :-)

I recently plugged an access point into my gigabit switch here at home
so I could use my new laptop around the house.  I found though that
watching dvbstreamed video didn't work properly any more.  Both the
computer which has the capture card in it and the computer on which I
wanted to watch the video are connected directly to the gigabit switch
(and have gigabit interfaces).  Just the addition of the AP to the
network caused the video to be choppy and unwatchable.

What is going on here?  The best I can guess is that since the packets
can't get out the AP's wireless interface fast enough it's actually
slowing down the sending rate of the video streaming server.  Shouldn't
my switch just drop the packets if the AP can't deal with them quickly
enough?  Or is it something to do with the higher level protocol (RTP)?
*confused*

I have a DPandA card, btw (a rebadged TechnoTrends card with no MPEG2
decoder onboard).

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack