[MLB-WIRELESS] Hostap

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 11:21:17 EST 2004

Hi Rick,

I have done it just recently - with 2.4.25.  I did have a few issues,
mainly caused by crappy documentation.  You do need to have the source
for your kernel untarred and sitting in /usr/src/linux or in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26 with a symlink called /usr/src/linux that points
at your kernel source directory.

You need to do this because when you compile HostAP it uses stuff from
your kernel source.

If you have your source in a different directory you need to edit the
hostap Makefile and change KERNEL_PATH= to the directory where your
kernel source is.

The README file has some info in it - the installation is a bit
different depending on whether PCMCIA support is in the kernel or is an
external module.  (IE whether or not you need to load the pcmcia_cs
module - with 2.4.26 you probably have kernel support and don't need
pcmcia_cs unless you specifically compiled your kernel to use pcmcia_cs
externally).

If you have a Prism2.5/3 PCI card you don't need to worry about PCMCIA -
just do 'make' and 'make install' from the untarred hostap directory
(where the Makefile sits).

Tell me if this helps or not...

Dan