[MLB-WIRELESS] Speed degradation over multiple hops

Rob Clark clark at freenet-antennas.com
Sun Mar 28 17:14:41 EST 2004

Mark,

Yes but....

TCP/IP has built-in support for line delay..called windowing. Basically
- TCP can send packets without waiting for previous packet
acknowledgment. Most TCP stacks support one satellite delay
(600ms)....which is way longer than you would expect for wifi packet
delays.

However....it would be worth checking the size of the TCP window at each
end ... Maybe it is too low at one box. The window needs to be at
greater than xx bytes, where:

XX =  (link speed, bytes/sec) x (typical ping time, sec)

I am ASSUMING the traffic is being transferred via TCP (eg ftp).

Rob Clark