[MLB-WIRELESS] Speed degradation over multiple hops

Ben Short bshort at shortboy.net
Sun Mar 28 15:19:23 EST 2004

Hi All,

I am writing this in the hope that someone may provide a solution to a
long standing problem that has
plagued me for a few months.

I am involved with StarNet, a community wifi mesh in Hobart. we have
over 200kms of RF path, and
connections are achieved using a combination of Wireless cards in unix
based routers, or Access points,
running in infrastructure or ad hoc mode depending on the location.

The best way to explain the problem is to use an example. Say we have 6
wireless links, each link has its own
RF Channel, and SSID, using the same WEP. All these links are
Point-to-Point, with no Multi-point (which rules out
halving the bandwidth available, by using the same interface for
send/recieving between two nodes). Each of these links
runs at 11mbps, with a signal of > 82dB and SNR of over 20dB.

Now, each link from hop to hop you can send or recieve at about 400kb/s,
which is to be expected. However if I download
direction from hop 6 to hop 1, I am usually lucky to get 10kb/s. There
is no other traffic on the network at the time, and
hidden nodes are not an issue. I am assuming interference is not an
issue, because each link can do 400kb/s.

tracerouting and pinging gibe favourable results, with no indication of
why the above happens.

Can someone please tell me why this speed degradation occurs, and how I
may be able to rectify it.

Thanks in advance
Ben