[MLB-WIRELESS] WRT54G Bulk Buy - cheaper again!

Rob Clark clark at freenet-antennas.com
Wed Jun 23 17:55:55 EST 2004

Nick,

The -83 (Minitar) vs -80 (LinkSys) means that the Minitar only needs
half (50%) of the signal strength that the Linksys does for the same
speed link. (-3 dB means 1/2 power).

So...as the Minitar also has 3dB extra TX power, that means on paper,
two Minitars will have double the range of two WRT54G boxes. Every extra
6dB buys you a doubling of range. The Minitars have 3dB extra TX and 3
dB extra RX so 6dB overall benefit.

However, don't interpret this as a black mark on the WRT54G: The primary
benefit of these boxes (to me) is the exciting firmware that can be
loaded in place of the manufacturer's original. That teaches them a
number of new tricks, and in many situations, that can be an
over-arching advantage. Maybe the ideal setup would be a (hacked) WRT54G
AP, and a bunch of Minitar clients?

I am considering getting a WRT54G myself to experiment with.

Rob Clark