[MLB-WIRELESS] Apple Airport Express

Daniel Woods salvo_dan at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 14 08:23:32 EST 2004

On 13 Jun 2004, at 23:02, Clae wrote:

> That's good info there Alan, thanks.  Where did you dig that up?
(Daniel, not Alan)

http://www.apple.com.au/airportexpress/
http://www.apple.com.au/airportexpress/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

>> 802.11g AP
>> ... works with any 802.11b/g Computer. Unlike the AirPort and AirPort
>> Extreme, the AirPort Express doesn't have NAT Features.
You I'm only assuming the lack of NAT features. Otherwise the AirPort
Express would steal sales from the AirPort Extreme. Steve Jobs isn't
the type of person who would allow that.
>> Printer Sharing
>> ...Šbehaves just like an IP Printer Port, a-la HP Jet Direct. I've
>> managed to get my Canon i450 and AirPort Extreme Basestation printing
>> from Windows ME. It apparently Works much better from Windows 2000 or
>> XP, but I don't do Windows ;)
I've got my AirPort here set up with Printer Sharing. It (sort of)
works with ME, after some fiddling. I've heard reports of people
printing from 2k/XP Machines easily.
>>> 	6.  	Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS X v10.2.7 or later
>>> or Windows XP or Windows 2000 and a compatible printer.
>> Analog/Digital Out
>> ...will work with any copy of iTunes 4.6 or higher, including the
>> Windows Version.
The only feature iTunes 4.6 added over 4.5 was AirPort Express Support.
4.6 is also available for Windows.
Also, from the APExpress Page;
>>> *Easy Setup*
>>> Listen wirelessly, connect wirelessly, extend your network
>>> wirelessly, print wirelessly — no matter what you want to  do with
>>> AirPort Express or whether you use a Mac or PC, you  can bet it’s a
>>> breeze to set up.
>> WDS
>> ...will only work with other AirPort base-stations.
Again, from the APExpress Website;
>>> 	5.  	AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express can extend the range only
>>> of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network.
>> WPA
>> ...is supported by All AirPort Basestations, but doesn't work in a
>> WDS network. You'll have to resort back to WEP for that.
Been There, Done That!
>> The Ethernet Port
>> ...is for connecting to other peoples networks, so it can work as an
>> AP. I don't think it can be used to bridge two networks wirelessly,
>> but I may be wrong.
Still no verification of this. Still only an assumption.

...Daniel