[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna Choice

David Casey dcasey at crystaldark.com
Sat Jun 12 19:53:07 EST 2004

Hi all

One of my contacts has generously offered me a Hills antenna free of
charge.  I have a choice of either a 12-slot double-sided waveguide or a
24dbi parabolic type.  I've just bought a house in Footscray where I
intend to set up a node (HVR) when I move in at the end of this month.
After a preliminary survey of the site it appears to have good LOS
potential to the north, east and west but of course I won't know the
full story until crunch time.  I'm interested to hear from anyone within
"cooee" of HVR (or familiar with the area) to help me decide whether to
attempt setting up a local AP from the outset, or go for a directional
configuration and worry about all that omni stuff later.

Feel free to correspond directly if you'd rather I not bore the list
with my newbie questions!  I'll be going to the July meeting but this
just couldn't wait :-)

Cheers,
Dave