[MLB-WIRELESS] Karlnet TurboCell and hidden node article

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Jun 9 11:57:28 EST 2004

I don't believe solutions such as Frottle work as well as specific
hardware based functionality.

Frottle etc works on the layer 3 or above level of networking, which
basically means that it runs on top of already existing rules. From
memory, Karlnet is basically token ring in nature. This works a lot better
as it uses proper collision avoidance, instead of collision detection.

Wifi doesn't work that much different than ethernet in the way it looks
for an empty medium, waits a random period of time, then begins sending
data packets.

Token ring however, says "this node can TX now". This is a *far* superior
way to approach the situation regarding hidden nodes.

Dan Flett said:
> Hi,
>
> Just been doing a bit of surfing, came across this article:
>
> http://www.karlnet.com/Documents/WhitePaper/TurboCellWhitePaper/TurboCel
> l%20White%20Paper.htm
>
> It's a pretty good description of the Hidden Node problem, with pretty
> pictures.  Of course, it also tells us how KarlNet equipment is the best
> solution. :)  I believe a lot of the issues that this article talks
> about can be solved with proper network design and Open-source software
> such as Frottle.
>
> Dan

Signed,
Steven Haigh

I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup.