[MLB-WIRELESS] Waterproof casing advice...

Ratbaggy notme at iprimus.com.au
Tue Jun 8 21:52:55 EST 2004

Hi,

A $15.00 box is cheaper than a wet Minitar that's eaten itself.

Will and I have used a couple of the Jaycar boxes on our links and found
them just about perfect for the job.  The mounting holes in the base are
isolated from the sealed section via voids to the top of the box.  We used
these to mount via standoffs to an aluminium plate with slots to accommodate
hose clamps to the mast.

Teamed up with the Jaycar glands for cat-5 and antenna cables on the bottom
side we have had no ingress of moisture at all.  If you wanted to use the
smallest box (cheaper) that fits the minitar, you could poke the antenna out
through a gland.

If you extend the aluminium plate past the box so as it sits behind the
antenna it will act as a reflector and give you a bit of directionality and
an extra 3 dB of antenna gain.  Ideally the antenna should be about 3-4 cm
away from a plane reflector.

BTW it is easy to mod a Minitar for POE, just cut the two tracks that run to
the terminating resistors for the unused cat-5 pairs.  Then run a wire at
the back of the Ethernet connector from each of the unused pairs to the
power inlet connector.  Make sure you get the polarity right!

David Nuttall.