[MLB-WIRELESS] wind power

Alan gone_4wding at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 4 21:43:44 EST 2004

Rick,
I built a wind generator once, it worked fine, six months down the track
we had a gusty day. The real problems were when it changed direction
with the bladed spinning at hight speed. Once a blade is spinning it
doesnt want to change direction. Grab a bycicle wheel by the axle, get
someone to spin it and then try to rotate the wheel sideways you will
see what I mean, its what makes gyroscopes work. The shaft sheared off
sending the blade about 20 metres away. No one was injured and the roof
of the house wasn't holed thankfully.

My advice: Use a solar panel - no moving parts, there is generally more
sun in Melb than wind.

If you must build a wind generator try a savonius rotor - you can make
one of these from a 44 gallon drum mounted on a vertical shaft, it works
with the wind blowing in any direction. There are a number of generators
made from the motor of the Fisher and Paykel smart drive washing
machine. Its like a stepper motor with fixed magnets and coils. I've
seen examples where a person winding one by hand lighting up a light
globe. You can use a car alternator but you need to re-wind them to get
them to operate effectively at low speeds.
See
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/egel/savonius.html
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/ecoinn/Downloads/smartdrive.pdf

Alan