[MLB-WIRELESS] Skype

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Jul 23 15:34:11 EST 2004

Decent quality VoIP (of any nature) needs 64kbps minimum before people
start to notice the difference between telephone and VoIP...

Most commercial setups are based on 64Kbps - not exactly sure of the codec
used however... Bottom line: unless you have more than 64kbps, VoIP will
probably suck :P

Tom Fifield [gummAY] said:
> I use it [Skype] all the time to chat to friends. Given; this is ADSL-->
> ADSL, but the quality is excellent. Far superior to Telephone and other
> windows messaging utilities that I have encountered. I have heard about
> poor dialup experiences though.
>
> I've tried Firefly too (along with IParty, Ivisit, Sipps, SJPhone), and
> sure, it's melbourne-based and has a few nifty features over skype -
> like voice mail and configurable on hold music which are good, but the
> quality was pathetic. On top of this, I had some issues with volume, and
> found its calibration was a little finicky.
>
> Tom Fifield
>
> Simon Hall wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Just wondering if anyone has used skype? http://www.skype.com/
>>
>>Simon Hall

Signed,
Steven Haigh

I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup.