[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

rick mibz at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 21 00:00:39 EST 2004

yeh if someone offered you, but what if you said that they had to donate or
not access?

someone has to pay for the net, i pay for mine and if someone wants to check
his emails on the way to work he can use mine 2, he says a small donation to
who wants net access, where does he draw the line, and matt i do think its
my busniess if they call there node a melbourne wireless node and start
making cash out of it. who are we to dictate? we are the 'community' we arnt
a small busniess starter if they want someone to buy there eq for them well
wtf are they really here for, i have given stuff away, alot of people have,
but the idea that someone says i HAVE to give them a cisco wireless card
well we are a community not a charity,

everything i say is of my own mind and well matt are you charging for your
wireless?

as for being narrow matt can you donate some money to me to cover my
wireless equipment? infact i will like a donation as well for any future
equipment i buy, come on, get real, even sydney guys arnt that bad that they
would foce people to donate to other people just to get on the mesh/online

if someone is shareing FREE net then it is free, its not free if it has a
stupid catch, agree or not matt?

"While you might have this dream that net access be free, someone
somewhere has to pay for it, why should this not be the end users ??
Are you honestly expecting someone to spend hundreds if not thousands of
dollars, plus a lot of time and effort to be able to give people access
to the internet and incur a loss for their generosity ??  Wake up and
smell the roses, this is the real world."

maybe you should look at what the real world is doing, personaltelco
seattlewireless are just 2 examples

rick

If someone wishes to charge people to access there network then that is
entirely their business, who are we to dictate to people how they will
conduct themselves ??  For that matter who are we to tell people how to
do anything ??  We can recommend they do things this way or that way,
but if they are putting out cold hard cash of there own then they have
100% choice of what they do providing it is legal.

While you might have this dream that net access be free, someone
somewhere has to pay for it, why should this not be the end users ??
Are you honestly expecting someone to spend hundreds if not thousands of
dollars, plus a lot of time and effort to be able to give people access
to the internet and incur a loss for their generosity ??  Wake up and
smell the roses, this is the real world.

If I choose to do this then that is entirely my choice, but it should
not be asked for nor expected.  If you choose to do this then that also
is entirely your choice, but to flame someone for thinking about trying
to recover some costs shows just how narrow minded you really are, maybe
its time you got out into the real world for a little while.

Personally if my neighbor down the road said he would pay me to connect
to my internet I would definately do it, as the overall cost of my
connection would fall, this benefits everyone except the big Telco's.

Matt.