[MLB-WIRELESS] Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Richard Ap-Thomas rich at silvergate.darktech.org
Tue Jul 20 14:04:13 EST 2004

Rowan Crowe wrote:

>I'm almost at the stage where I can start setting up a system that will
>provide free internet access to anyone who can associate with my AP. The
>~~~
>Looks like this sort of thing is reasonably common in the US, has anyone
>around here tried this?
>
>Cheers.

Hi List :)
Considering all the possible issues, if I were in the same position I
would be considering seriously bandwidth limiting the connection, so as
to make it unlikely to attract a) people who want to really exploit it,
and b) the attention of your ISP. (this in addition to all of the other
stuff you've mentioned). Maybe something like a max 100kbit connection
for the anonymous user, and open up the speed if its an authenticated
user. Makes it more of a courtesy service, just so they can browse/check
mail but not good for leeching illegal goods or hosting DOS attacks on
places :).
I think you would really be going into murky waters if you start
accepting money :-/

Richard.