[MLB-WIRELESS] Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Matt Pearce matt at pearceits.com.au
Tue Jul 20 12:49:55 EST 2004

Fenn Bailey wrote:
>  - Shaping/prioritization - As much as I'm more than happy to give away
> free access, I don't want people adversely effecting my internet
> experience :) Sorry, freeloaders get low priority ;)
>
>  - Spam protection - SMTP traffic will be intercepted and run through
> spamassassin/mailscanner/virus checker, plus a relay quota will be
> enforced. The last thing I want is my free node to be responsible for
> relaying spam.
>
>  - Full netflow/logging - Interesting legalities. I will have to
> disclaim myself that by using this service, certain things will be
> logged (anyone know privacy law implications?). I don't want people
> using this service for nefarious reasons (ala netbank scams, hacking,
> etc, etc).
>
>  - _Maybe_ some sort of auth system - ie: email confirmation, or, even
> better, before using it, you need to enter a mobile phone number and a
> password is SMS'd to you. Easy to implement, and a hacker would think
> twice about abusing it.
>
> Thoughts, people?
>
> 	Fenn.

I think this is a very good idea, and believe that for anyone to access
the internet via your connection which you are legally responsible for,
there should be some sort of real person confirmable details supplied
first.  And then tell them that a condition of use is that all activity
is logged.  Make them sign or agree (ie something like a check here to
agree to terms and conditions) to this otherwise service will not be
provided.

On the note of authentication, what packages are available for *nix
distro's that could do this sort of thing ??

Matt.