[MLB-WIRELESS] Network bridging with Linksys

Brian Jinks bjinks at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 13 14:42:29 EST 2004

I'm trying to help a local community organisation with some advice as to
bridging two wired networks across a distance of approximately 100 metres
with reasonably clear line of site.
Windows of various flavours is being used.
The distance can, from my own experience, can be achieved easily with the use
of parabolic reflectors behind each wireless unit.
The real problem is, apart from very strong financial constraints, is what to
use for bridgeing units.
The Linksys WET54g bridges seem to be one way to go but if two WRT54g units
can be used, this leads to some very important savings.
On the Linksys page,
http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp
mention is made of a file,
bridge.tgz
which, to me, suggests that the WRT54g can be used in a bridge mode.
After spending some time googling for answers, I'm still unsure if this is the
case so I'm wondering if there are any users who have any experience with
this question.

Because of the final location of these units, we will not be using the 4 port
switch or the router capability.

If anybody can suggest using other gear, I will be happy to take all
suggestions but please remember, I'm looking for the cheapest possible
solution. We want to use "g" rather than "b" and we are willing to wear this
extra cost for "future proofing".

Regards, Brian.