[MLB-WIRELESS] Waterproof casing advice...

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Sun Jul 4 15:18:37 EST 2004

G'day all,

In the process of putting this all together,

From: "Ratbaggy" <notme at iprimus.com.au>
[...]
> If you wanted to take this one step further, you could make a couple of
cuts
> in the plate along the edge of the box from the outsides towards the
centre
> leaving about 6 cm in the middle and bend the 2 sides forward on a 45
degree
> angle.  This would form a 90 degree corner reflector antenna and if you
> started with a 20 cm wide plate, this would give you up to 10 dB gain.
> Maybe overkill for a 100 m link but something like that should be good for
> km or so under LOS conditions.

I'm not an RF man, but I'm sufficiently fussy that "about 3 or 4 cm" doesn't
sound acurate enough.

I found this corner reflector design;

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/

It uses a full 90degree corner, not the "about 6cm flat with ends bent in at
45 degrees". Any comments on what is better?

> Yes, if it works out, publish it on the wiki.  I doubt I'll get around to
> experimenting with short range stuff where I live.  Oops, there is that
last
> 300m from the ridge to here....  Let my know how you get on!

I'm taking pictures with my blurry-cam, for what they are worth. I will wiki
what I've got at the end of it all.

> > Just thought I'd correct my own poor grammar here: The glue heatshrink
> > *is*  quite waterproof, the Minitar omni antenna is not really
> > waterproof.

Looking at it, it seems to be sorta rubber coated, at least untill you get
to the bendy bit. As the gland seals it a fair way below the rubber coating,
I'm going to risk it and see how it lasts.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/