[MLB-WIRELESS] AP in both Bridged mode & normal mode

Tom Parker tparker at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 25 19:31:10 EST 2004

If you're a hacker then the linux firmware for the wrt54g could be made to do WDS (or if
you can wait a bit these guys will have it going for you).

http://www.sveasoft.com/postt128.html

http://www.sveasoft.com/postt174.html

I'm using WDS and STP (spanning tree for sharing MAC tables between the APs) using the
linux openap distribution on some old SMC 2450 APs.  This is working well for me through
some walls (brick in my old house, plaster in the new one) at 11Mbps.

http://tools.collegeterrace.net/openap-ct/

Cheers,
Tom

Do you mean bridge mode, as in uplinking your wireless AP via a wireless
link (not Ethernet) to another and then bridging Ethernet connections as if
it's all one big network?

The AP3 (Orinoco AP-2000) uses Wireless Distribution System (WDS) for this
and it will work with a single card although at a rather nasty performance
hit.  HT used to have the AP-3s for $537 but I can't find them on their site
anymore.

Rather sad, as these pups can take .11g cards, too :)

.t