[MLB-WIRELESS] AP in both Bridged mode & normal mode

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Wed Feb 25 18:08:59 EST 2004

> 802.11g standard is almost imperative for the bridging and the laptop
> might be able to be comfortable on 11.b.

Getting enough signal to pull off a .11g bridge link thru the bricks may be
an issue. It'll most likely fall back to speeds somewhere near .11b anyway.
Let meknow how you go tho! Ain't touched .11g in real world situations yet.

> I spoke with my Netgear distributor about this, and he said that Netgear
> model ME103 (11.b) acts in bridge mode and accepts roaming clients, and
> the WG302 does also (11.g standard) - has anyone had any experience with
> this type of setup before and or does Minitar Gateway router (with USB
> Print Server) do this or their cheapy 11.b AP's?

Think you'll find with the ME103 etc will do EITHER brige mode OR accepts
roaming clients. Not simultaneously.

What you'll need is something like the Avaya AP3
http://www.avaya.com/ac/common/index.jhtml?location=M1H1005G1015F2063P3153N5
064

Which has accepts dual cards (note, antenna diversity on one card will not
do).

This allows you to set one card in Bridge mode, the other in AP mode. Also
allows a combination of a/b/g so if you want .11a for the AP and a .11b
bridge link (2.4GHz will have better luck going thru walls).

Other option, buy 2 minitar (or any other brands that support bridge and
AP...just not simultaneously) AP's and put them in bridge mode, buy a 3rd
one and put it in normal AP mode. Be a bit cheaper than the Avaya style
solution

> (and of coure, as with all clients, cost is a factor) :p

Always is.

Good luck! let us know how u go.