[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection -1200m apart

vak at alphalink.com.au vak at alphalink.com.au
Thu Feb 19 20:28:55 EST 2004

Yeah, but the 2.4Ghz Class licence for DSSS modulation restricts you to
4000mW regardless of whether you're a licenced HAM or not.

Which brings me to the point that currently, .g gear is "technically"
illegal in Aus at the moment (as is Super G/108mbps) - it's not covered by
the determination (see Note 1).

Most 802.11g AP's are 30-100mW output devices, wheras legally they are only
allowed to operate at 10mW EIRP. You certainly wouldn't want to use SuperG
outside - especially if it hogs all available channels - forget about
coexistance with neighbouring AP's (but that's a different argument).

The reason 802.11g gear is illegal is because the current class licence
(Note 1) doesn't cover OFDM modulation, it only covers DSSS (ie 802.11b).

On a side note - there's a nice radiofrequency spectrum plan/chart some of
you might like:
http://www.aca.gov.au/radcomm/frequency_planning/spectrum_plan/arsp-wc.pdf

Documents of relevance:

Note 1: 2.4Ghz DSSS Class licence determination

http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/legislation/radcomm/acts/radcom/spread_2002.p
df

Note 2: Spread Spectrum power levels & how they should be measured:
http://www.aca.gov.au/aca_home/legislation/standards/radspread_03.pdf

Regards,

Vaskos