[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection -1200m apart

Jamie Moir jmoir at jmcs.net.au
Wed Feb 18 17:06:46 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Phil Mawson wrote:

> Ok. Thanks for that. Is there anyone who has tried using 802.11g in
> similar circumstances that have had a sucesfull fast link?

Most of the consumer G gear has been pretty dreadful, at best, for P2P
links. It just isnt up to the job. Im getting some new Senao AP/Clients in
soon, and these should be quite good, if the B gear is anything to go on.
Exciting rumours of transmission power control  too I should mention.

> I had seent he Vagi directional antennas by Hills. But it only has a
> 15.6dBi rating. As I said before, I am new to wireless, but I gather
> that a 25dBi rating is better, and the parabolic grid antenna is only
> another $10. Or would the Vagi antenna be better because it is more
> directional therefore a higher signal strength?

Sure, there is a small matter of the law however. You cant legally exceed
36dB at the antenna, so a 25dBi ant, plus an 18dB AP is 43dB before cable
loss. way way way too much.

> It is just a small home project. Probably looking at about $250 per end
> (so $500 all up). The Minitar AP's look like a good option. I asume they
> have detachable antennas so an external antenna can be connected? And
> would either the Vagi or the Parabolic antennas work on that?

You buy them with a rgSMA to N male or female pigtail, and cabling as
appropriate.

Cya,

Jamie (owner of techtopia)