[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection -1200m apart

Phil Mawson phil at soundguy.id.au
Wed Feb 18 16:13:02 EST 2004

Hi,

I am looking currently at connection a friends and my houses up via a
wireless link. We can both clearly see eachother's houses and are only
about 1200m apart.

I am new to wireless, so I do not know much about it. I would like to
have a 802.11g (54mbs) connection across. I heard that it can have more
problems than 802.11b over longer distances. We are fairly close
together, both have direct line of site, should there be much problem?

I am looking at getting a hills antenna (Hills 25dBi directional
parabolic grid antenna
<http://www.techtopia.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/1_19/products_id/682>
) for both ends - would that be a good move?

What hardware should I use each end? I was told that an Access Point my
end and just a PCI card his end. I have servers at my end (9 computers
plugged in all up atm) and he only has 2 (which are networked). Can any
one sugest what would be the best to get? Brand & Model?

Also, I am looking at implementing a wireless network in my house for
the two laptops. Would that need a seperate AP for that or can it all
work off one? I would be thinking two, because of security. I am wanting
the link between my friends and my house to be infront of my firewall
(to make it more secure) and my wireless network inside my house would
be behind the firewall.

So yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Phil Mawson
BlendTek [creative]