[MLB-WIRELESS] MelbourneWireless Router Project

Rob Clark clark at freenet-antennas.com
Fri Dec 24 16:11:25 EST 2004

Dan,

For your project - you may be interested in the shipment I just got off
the wharf today.

These cables were factory made to my specs:
- 20m
- Outdoor rated CAT5e (The jacket does not need a protective conduit)
- IP65 rated cable gland included on the cable
- RJ45 plugs wired as straight through
- 2.1mm DC power plug on one end. 2.1mm DC power socket on the other (ie
suits WRT54G, Senao APs, Minitar, ...)

They are ideal for use with APs in Enclosures.

Normally $65 incl GST, but for Melb Wireless, I can give 30% off...which
makes them:
 - $45 each incl GST

I have tested each of these with no problems over 20m CAT5e
 - Linksys WRT54GS
 - Minitar MNWAPB
 - Senao 3054

Regards

Rob Clark
www.freenet-antennas.com

s/Undergro
und_Telephone/5.1.5.2.3.1.pdf
Model# E501
Approx $1.80 per metre from Ideal Electrical Suppliers
I know that 10-pair isn't rated for 100mbps Ethernet.  However, I have
tested 100mbps Ethernet over 50m of 10-pair and it works.  The other
pairs in the cable will be used for the AP and Routers' reset buttons,
separate power feeds to the AP and Router, and possibly a status LED
from the Router.  The aim is to be able to use the AP and Router's own
manufacturer-supplied power-packs, to reduce cost.

Sunshade:
A jacket made from corrugated plastic - as suggested by Tim Hogard.  I
will make a prototype from cardboard and see how strong it is.  I will
fold a sheet of it - wider than the enclosure - over the top of the
enclosure and leave the sides open.  The sunshade will also help to make
the enclosure more waterproof and keep rain off the RF connectors
underneath.

That's basically it.

Tell me what you think!

Cheers,