[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: RF emissions of Grandstream Budgetone 102 VoIP phones.

Tony Langdon (ATC) tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Dec 21 12:26:21 EST 2004

> I have a power point right next to a TV aerial outlet. I
> suspect the power and aerial lines run right beside each
> other for some distance inside the wall. The TV picks up
> interference from devices plugged into that power point. Some
> devices generate more interference than others. Using a
> better quality cable between the TV and the wall point
> helped, but it is still visible, particularly on channel 9.
>
> I'm wondering what I could do to reduce the interference.
> Would wrapping the power cable through a ferrite inside the
> wall help? Any hints as to the best part to use?

The best solution would be to re-run the TV feedline and get some separation
between that and the power wiring.  Depending on the frequency (in this
case, it's VHF, so a good chance it'll work), you can get rid of some
interference by using a clamp on ferrite or two on the power wiring, or
alternatively on the wiring of offending appliances.

> (Trying to bring it back OT). The TV aerial has an AP in a
> box about 1m above it. I don't seem to get any TV
> interference from it. However, another person with a similar
> setup thinks he might be getting some TV interference. Would
> a ferrite around the ethernet help here?

It may, or it may not.  I have an AP that generates a bit of interference on
channel 2.  I just live with it, the picture's still watchable. :)  Maybe
after moving to the new place, I'll look at doing something more serious. :)