[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: RF emissions of Grandstream Budgetone 102 VoIP phones.

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Dec 21 11:59:27 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 11:26 +1100, Jason Hecker wrote:
> > RS Components (www.rsaustralia.com) in Port Melbourne can sell you such
> > a ferrite.  Two turns of the cat 5 through part number 222-4365 as close
> > as possible to the eth port should help things a good bit.  Two turns
> > through part 260-6492 should do too.
>
> DSE parts R5124, R5122 and R5120 should do the job as well and are a bit
> cheaper and easier to get than from RS.  They attenuate at 25MHz as well
> so will affect 100Mbit ethernet.  Use a core that has a hole diamater to
> comfortably fit up to 2-3 turns of cat5 and try to find a compromise
> between radio noise suppression and the ethernet still working.

In a related but still off topic thing;

I have a power point right next to a TV aerial outlet. I suspect the
power and aerial lines run right beside each other for some distance
inside the wall. The TV picks up interference from devices plugged into
that power point. Some devices generate more interference than others.
Using a better quality cable between the TV and the wall point helped,
but it is still visible, particularly on channel 9.

I'm wondering what I could do to reduce the interference. Would wrapping
the power cable through a ferrite inside the wall help? Any hints as to
the best part to use?

(Trying to bring it back OT). The TV aerial has an AP in a box about 1m
above it. I don't seem to get any TV interference from it. However,
another person with a similar setup thinks he might be getting some TV
interference. Would a ferrite around the ethernet help here?

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/