[MLB-WIRELESS] Proposed new location.

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Sun Dec 19 23:58:56 EST 2004

Hmm, Reply to All didn't work last time... :(

At 11:35 PM 19/12/2004, Adrian Lodders wrote:

>Ok, I'm starting to like this, it'll be good if we can link up Western
>Plains and Maribyrnong. Although I doubt the rest of Sunbury will be
>able to connect, aww well I'm over it... for now :P

Yep, that would be good.  I'm going to be in a good spot for Western
Plains.  Might even get the RAAF base hooked up... :-)

>So far, this is what I've got to use:
>1x WRT54G
>1x 14dBi 180 Waveguide
>All needed cables (except for CAT5)

OK, I'll probably need to get a suitable AP for the long haul link, and
take the 25 dBi dish option for the link.  Being horizontally polarised
will be useful, as my local area coverage will be vertical.  For the local
access, I will be running a Minitar into an 8dBi omni.  I have all that
gear here already.:-)

>What needs to be done:
>- Official letter to the radio station.
>- Get up on the station roof to see if we need a mast.
>- Water proof AP.
>- Build PoE ejector.
>- Save up some extra cash to pay for the mentioned above :P

Cool.  At my end, I need:

Another AP for the long haul link
High gain antenna for the link
Waterproof 2xAPs
Install PoW (I can feed it from the main 13.8v power supply = hard wiring
will be fine)
Install some suitable place to mount the APs... (hopefully a tower :) ).
Install extra NIC into the firewall dedicated to the wireless segment.  I
will run both logical networks (routing and user access) off the one
physical NIC, because the firewall box doesn't have a lot of free slots
(comes from running 2 soundcards for IRLP and streaming audio in it also! :) ).

>Right now I'm guessing another mast will be needed as I don't think
>they'd be happy if they think the WiFi equipment will interfere with
>there's.
>
>  Adrian
>PS My node is way off on locfinder, I'll fix it up ASAP.

I have mine showing the new site in LocFinder, so you can look up where
I'll be. :-)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com