[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: regarding eBGP - private AS numbers are relatively limited...

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Thu Dec 16 12:31:49 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Rowan Crowe wrote:

> I'm a bit rusty with iBGP, I can't remember whether all neighbours need to
> be talking to each other (n^2 interconnections - and config lines!) or
> it's sufficient to have only directly connected neighbours communicating
> between themselves.

Found the answer... if you use iBGP then every time a new node is added
everyone would need to reconfigure their routers to add it as a neighbour.
It's a full mesh. Ouch!

iBGP Peers Must be Fully Meshed

iBGP neighbors do not announce routes received via iBGP to other iBGP
neighbors.

iBGP is needed to avoid routing loops within an AS

Injecting external routes into IGP does not scale and causes BGP policy
information to be lost

BGP does not provide "shortest path" routing

Is iBGP an IGP? NO!