[MLB-WIRELESS] Revisiting OSPF

Richard Ap-Thomas rich at silvergate.darktech.org
Wed Dec 15 22:45:43 EST 2004

Well it makes sense to me. Eventually the melbourne group is going to
become too big to manage with OSPF, and if it starts getting links to
other major groups (like regional centres, or even NSW / SA!) then it
would probably start getting seriously screwed up. Its better to plan
ahead with an exterior routing protocol and skip the painful process in
5 years (or 2 years depending on how fast the network grows).

I guess the thing I would be most concerned with would be the ease of
use for casual users, are people going to be able to hook into the
network easily? I mean once the casual user is hooked in he/she doesn't
really care how the backbone works, and the casual users are still going
to end up being the majority of the network.

But I agree, an exterior protocol would make the most sense in a network
that is largely uncontrolled and prone to fluctuating connections to
other networks (gosh people may even provide links to the in-ter-net..!).

Still, a move to a new protocol system-wide is a big thing and its
probably worth a reasonably long change over period, since routers have
to be recompiled, brought down from masts and such. How many core
routers would really have to be changed?

Richard.