[MLB-WIRELESS] Revisiting OSPF

Tony Langdon (ATC) tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Dec 14 15:58:39 EST 2004

> How do these routing protocols assist those of us that just
> stick an AP(s)
> (any AP) up on a pole and point a signal to another node(s)?

Well, if all you want to do is link a handful of known nodes together and
you have full say over how the routing will be done, you don't need routing
protocols.  Static routing will work fine.  I have sprawling VPNs across
several LANS all held together with static routes, no dramas.

However, if we're going to put together a larget network and don't want to
have to enter routes for every node/network out there, then we need a
routing protocol to do the job of working out how to get packets from A to B
(and C, D... Z, etc). :)

The issue at hand is choosing an appropriate routing protocol, and Dan's put
up some srguments for choosing BGP over OSPF.