[MLB-WIRELESS] Revisiting OSPF

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 12:56:43 EST 2004

> Fantastic post Dan

Thankyouverymuch.

> How would the "Dan Model" cope with users who took their laptops from
> one area to another or is this just not feasible?

DHCP? :)

I'm assuming you're talking about seamless, no-loss-of-connection
roaming between APs in different areas, a la mobile phones?  I'd
consider that sort of service beyond the ability of a free community
network that uses a limited slice of public radio spectrum and is run by
volunteers.  Let's not bite off more than we can chew - even if it were
possible we'd need a seriously dense mesh of APs and some serious
channel management - which needs some serious administration - which
needs serious money.

If instead you're talking about sitting under a
Melbourne-Wireless-connected AP with your laptop then packing up,
driving across town and sitting under another
Melbourne-Wireless-connected AP, then that's (theoretically) easy.  And
DHCP is the answer.  Just don't expect to have the same IP address in
both locations.  We could run some sort of dynamic-DNS system if you
wanted people to be able to reach your laptop no matter where you were
on the network.

Cheers,

Dan