[MLB-WIRELESS] Cheap(?) 15mtr Telescopic masts

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Thu Dec 2 12:16:55 EST 2004

Hi All,

I've currently use revision 4 of my "dlink in a waterproof box" up on
the mast - no amp currently in use.

It's been up almost 3 yrs now (although revision 1 and 2 were not so
good - in once instance water got in and killed the AP)....  If you are
going to put anything outside, I recommend it goes straight into a
diecast aluminium box with UV stable (polymer) silicone. Wherever a
penetration occurs in the box (even underneath), make sure it's
siliconed up!

The last 8 months or so, the AP has shown occasional erratic behaviour
and requires a reboot once or twice a month - the handy bit about a
remotely powered AP is that it's fairly easy to reset - turn the thing
off at the power point!  I suspect this behaviour is due to the extreme
temperatures the AP has been subjected to. A 30 degree day with a bit of
sun can quite easily bring the internal ambient temperature up to 70
degrees. A possible solution to this would be a box inside a box - The
internal enclosure would encase the equipment, be externally lined with
fiberglass insulation and finally enclosed in a bottom vented box.

If you're going to be fooling around with firmware upgrades (or anything
outside normal "home" use), I'd recommend wiring up the reset button so
you can remotely engage it.

I believe you can expect 2 to 3 yrs of life out of a $100-$200 AP. All
the AP's in this price bracket are much the same and have their own
intricacies.

Also, if you have the luxury and time to choose, find a low heat
dissipating AP (or tune the input power if it doesn't have an internal
switchmode supply). - helps in keeping temperatures down.

On a side note, if your mast & install has to "look" good, I suggest
using stainless steel guy wires - they are generally thinner (for the
same tensile strength in galvanised), but are however more expensive.

Cheers,

Vaskos