[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: RF emissions of Grandstream Budgetone 102 VoIP phones.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Dec 1 10:42:27 EST 2004

Jason Hecker said:
> Hi,
>
> What is the make and model of the VoIP device?  Does it have a C-Tick
> with Nxxxx designation or CE label?  How about an FCC EMC compliance or
> equivalent Canadian compliance statement?  That's really piss poor if it
> spams your radio like that.

It's a Grandstream Budgetone 102 as seen at:
http://www.grandstream.com/y-bt100.htm

It does have a C-Tick sticker on the bottom, I'll have to look at this
more when I get home...

> As you can imagine, the cat5 is coupling
> noise from within the device and acting like a honking great antenna.

*nods*

> It could be harmonics of parts inside the device or harmonics from the
> ethernet signalling.  Is the noise always there or only when ethernet
> data is transmitted?

The noise is always present. It changes pattern when I press any buttons
on the keypad or use the device, so maybe it's processor related? It
doesn't matter if there's any ethernet traffic going on, as long as
there's a cat5 cable plugged into the device so there's a link...
Unplugging the CAT5, and the noise is gone - but that kinda defeats the
purpose...

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup.