[MLB-WIRELESS] network webcam and HVC update

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sun Aug 29 18:23:15 EST 2004

On Friday 27 Aug 2004 8:53 am, Dan Flett wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I'm not from the Fitzroy area. :)  But I've been playing with the
> various firmwares for the WRT54G.  I'm a recent convert to OpenWRT
> (http://openwrt.org).  It is a true Linux distro for the WRT54G and
> unlike the Linksys or other third-party firmwares out there, it formats
> part of the flash memory as a read/write partition, making it much more
> flexible.

Agreed, I'm a fan of it too, and if I ever have some Copious Free Time I'm
going to have a bash at making some packages for it (Shorewall and Postfix
spring to mind).

> It has package management and Quagga/OSPF is one of the
> packages.  I'm currently experimenting with it on a WRT54GS - I think it
> has great potential.

A good tip from their website is to use a security bug in the Linksys
webserver to run some NVRAM commands on your system to set up the boot_wait
flag on. This means that on every reboot the box will wait for a flash
upgrade via TFTP on 192.168.1.1 for a few seconds so that if you do
completely botch it you can recover. :-)

The hack tricks the system into doing:

cp */*/nvram /tmp/n
*/n set boot_wait=on
*/n commit
*/n show

>  It has a few minor bugs to do with installing packages, but other than that
> it seems quite stable.

The joy of it is that you can grab everything you need from CVS and fix it if
you know how to! :-)

> All it needs is someone with more Iptables experience than me. :) I have
> next to none, but I'm learning.

This is one of the reasons I reckon Shorewall would be a great package to port
to it, first off it should be relatively easy as it's all shell scripts and
secondly it does all the hard work with iptables for you. :-)

> OpenWRT are also sticklers for complying with the GPL, unlike Sveasoft,
> who treat the GPL as something that inconveniences their business model.

Yeah, and from some of what I've seen about their practices I'd rather stear
well clear of them.

cheers,
Chris
- --