[MLB-WIRELESS] OEM 802.11 modules

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Sat Aug 28 12:37:42 EST 2004

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I did have a look at the chipsets,
but I don't think I have the design skills or manufacturing resources to
use these. The digi modules look interesting, but they're still a bit too
integrated - I want something simple that can send and receive ethernet
packets. Doing it this way also significantly lowers power requirements.

The sort of application I'm thinking of is something that stays dormant in
micropower mode for most of the time, periodically waking up to measure
something and communicate briefly with another node via 802.11. It then
goes to sleep again. The average power drain would be small enough that it
could be powered by a small solar panel and battery. (I guess I could
power the more hungry integrated modules up and down as necessary, but
that's a bit like driving a car to visit your neighbour three houses
down...)

I've played around with this sort of thing using proprietary protocols at
473MHz, but it would be nice to be able to use a world standard. :)

Cheers.