[MLB-WIRELESS] LinkSYS WRT54G Over Long Distance

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 07:30:55 EST 2004

Hi all,

This discussion on the Sveasoft forums deals with optimal settings on
the WRT54G for long links:

http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2095

Should be relevant to whatever firmware you're using.

Keep in mind that any kind of wireless link over water is going to be
fraught with problems due to reflections, refraction, the tide, etc.
Setting up diversity antennas at both ends may help - water can 'bend'
directional signals and your 'beam' may overshoot or undershoot the
antenna at the other end.  Telstra deal with this issue by using antenna
diversity - putting one antenna halfway up a tower and one at the top.

Cheers,

Dan

OpenWRT
> and 15dBm
> (30mW)  From 30mW 180degree 18db waveguide to 25db conifer we run a
2mbit
> link over
> just over 15km.  Our problem down here in Hobart isn't signel strength
> it's timing.
> We've got a link that runs 18.1km but what ever AP we run on them
(either
> Linksys WET11
> to WAP11 or Dlink 900 to 810 or Minitar to 810) we hit dup packets due
> the timing
> issues with the 802.11b protocol.
>
> As for numbers (this is iwconfig stats from a cabletron roamabout ~2m
of
> 213)
> Link Quality:16/92  Signal level:-80 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
>
> link is just under 10km in length accross the derwent river.
>
> If it helps we work on a 'safe' distance of 10km, and a 'it get's
average'
> distance of
> about 14.5k after 15k it's just getting dicy due to protocol issues.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing methods of boosting the power on the
WRT54G's