[MLB-WIRELESS] New Node Coordinates?

Ian Donaldson ian at myinternet.com.au
Wed Apr 28 16:17:22 EST 2004

Nick,

There are a couple of ways of expressing co-ordinates, but they are
variations on either degrees, minutes, seconds, or decimal notation. There
are 60 minutes in each degree and 60 seconds in each minute, just like
time.

When it is written degrees, minutes, seconds as below:

37 46' 03" S

It is actually saying that the co-ordinate is 37 degrees + 46/60 of a degree
+ 3/60 of a minute (or 3/3600 of a degree).

So in decimal notation it is 37 + 0.766666.. + 0.000833333... or 37.7675
degrees.

Just to be painful, sometimes people write co-ordinates as degrees, minutes,
but seconds in decimal, e.g. 36 46.05' S.

Oh, and sometimes the "N E S W" comes before the co-ordinate rather than
after.

Converting from a decimal back to degrees, minutes seconds is relatively
straightforward, e.g. 37.7675, write "37" and subtract 37, leaving .7675.
Multiply that by 60, giving 46.05. Write "46'" and subtract it, leaving
0.05. Multiply that by 60, giving 3, which is your seconds '03"'.

Ian

Ian Donaldson, SA @ MI                       -- ian at myinternet.com.au