[MLB-WIRELESS] linux kernal q

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Mon Apr 26 09:53:51 EST 2004

Hrm,

If you're using 802.11b I don't like your chances of keeping up any sort
of SDTV or HDTV streaming transmission.  A good test is to try a DVD.
The best bet is to use something like Smartripper or mplayer to rip a
DVD VOB to a file and have the person at the receiving end be able to
play the file fro myour hardddrive.  To get normal playback you need
7-9Mbit, depending on the DVD.  I think HDTV is well over 9MBit and
standard definition will be anywhere from 2Mbit to 7Mbit - depending on
the quality of encoding.  Foxtel off the satellite uses lower bitrates
and it's very obvious - crappy images.  You might have better luck with
a 54Mbit card.

Anyway, a good mail order vendor of digital TV cards is
http://www.digitalnow.com.au .