[MLB-WIRELESS] eMachineShop

Steve Smithies steve42 at gmx.net
Fri Apr 9 21:57:25 EST 2004

Hi Folks,

Had a bit of a play with eMachineShop (www.emachineshop.com) this
evening. Using their software, you make up a CAD drawing of what you
want, tell it where you live, and then it tells you how much it'll
cost to make your thing and post it to you, from the USA.

So, I made up a Trevor Marshall 8-slot 180 degree waveguide... Totals
for differing quantities:

qty - price + shipping (from ordering to delivery = 4 weeks)
  1 - 112   + 32 => US$144 each
  2 - 142   + 40 => US$91
  5 - 216   + 70 => US$57
 10 - 335   + 116 => US$45 = AU$60 each

You'll need to add to that about $20 per waveguide for the n-type,
feed-cone, clamps, nuts and bolts, etc.  Also, add duty for orders
over AU$500.

This is made using 1mm aluminium sheet, laser cut to the right size
(flat), laser cut holes for slots, mounting bolts, n-type, and end
plates, then bent into a rectangular tube.

I don't think I've designed it in the best possible way, so could
probably get the price down a bit more after some more thought.
They're also promising being able to do Aluminium extrusions soon,
which might also cut down price.

Doing a 16-slot WG gets expensive, as it's long and requires custom
packing. If it were possible to make it in two halves and join
together, then could get a batch of 10 done for ~US$70 (AU$95) each
delivered, but the join wouldn't be pretty (something like an external
flange, riveted).

If anyone wants the eMachineShop file I've made, email me off-list.

Gratuitous screenshot: http://vacated.net/wireless/antennae/wg-v0.2.png

Steve.