[MLB-WIRELESS] Choosing GPS

Tom Parker tparker at netspace.net.au
Sat Apr 3 07:09:15 EST 2004

Hi,

> I've got a Garmin GPS12, and its a good unit. If i was choosing again,
> I'd probably get one of the eTrex series. eTrex is lighter, and across
> the range of eTrex units there are extra features like ones with an
> altimeter and inbuilt magnetic compass (rather than a 'compass' based
> on relative location readings).

I bought a Garmin eTrex (yellow) in the US and have used it a bit here
mostly walking.  We compared the altimeter to a pressure based one we
were carrying, both were accurate enough to find our position amongst
contours (although we lost GPS in the woods at times).

I really like it, seems to meet your requirements (buy a 3rd party
serial cable on ebay or online).  I have the cable, but I've never used
it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003WGP5/qid=1080939767/
sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-7389352-3293652?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

The yellow eTrex does not have the inbuilt magnetic sensor.  I am told
that these really kill batteries and thus are not so useful (you can
turn them off to conserve power).

Unless you want mapping, this unit is probably enough.

Cheers,
Tom