[MLB-WIRELESS] Access Point Station

Jamie Moir jmoir at jmcs.net.au
Thu Apr 1 19:32:42 EST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Adam H. wrote:

> We're looking at putting up a couple of access points here where I live,
> as we have access to one of the old Mills (Standing roughly 150 feet
> above the rest of the buildings). We've purchased a 19dbi gain
> Omni-directional antenna, and are looking at using one of the SVEC
> access points to connect to the antenna.

I dont really know what type of omni you have, bit 19dBi is a lot of grunt
on an omni. Unless is some sort of sector arrangment its going ot be
nearly useless.

A few people have been making high gain waveguides, but the beamwidth is
too narrow to be really that useful.

> Now... I've seen that other AP's are available with outputs up to 200mw,
> but my understanding is that the SVEC only has an output of 30mw. Will
> the SVEC access point we have do the job, or should we be looking at
> something else?

The svecs have been very good, certainly they didnt have the same firmware
bugs that the minitars have had (ie: MAC address rewriting).

> Also - has anyone heard if svec are bringing out a 54mbit version of
> their access point. I've grown rather fond of the SVEC, as I'm not sure
> other AP's have all the features that the SVEC has. (Such as AP Client,
> Bridge mode, etc).

There is no continuty of design between them, svec are just another white
box builder so dont make assumption about the new product based on the
old.

Jamie