[MLB-WIRELESS] Minitar specs

Gordon Staines gstaines at theage.com.au
Tue Sep 30 16:13:44 EST 2003

Thanks for this information, I was not aware of this, I am very
impressed to see that it runs Linux. Perhaps we/someone should update
the hardware guide with this useful information.

At $90. the mintars are obviously excellent value

Regards

Gordon

Jon Teh wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:37:49PM +1000, Nick Grundy wrote:
>

>>I was doing some research on the SVEC power output tweek.
>>the stuff i read said it's a bad thing(tm).
>>
>>a SVEC outputs 15dbm/30mw of rf energy, which occupies 22Mhz of the 2.4ghz ISM band.
>>when you modify them to 100mw then the output polutes the entire 2.4Ghz ISM band and
>>it also has harmonics down in the MDS spectrum and up in the amatuer radio 2.4Ghz
>>spectrum.
>>
>>The Minitar output 18dbm/40mw from the factory and only occupy 22Mhz of the ISM band.
>>I wouldn't want to try and run a couple of hacked SVEC's within the same RF area, and I
>>currently have 2 AP's and a ad-hoc link coming into/intersecting my property. It could
>>be somewhat of a mess :/
>>
>>Personally I'm leaning towards using Minitar equipment due to the higher output levels
>>and web config, SVEC's are a bitch to configure for those of us who use macs :)
>>

>Hi all,
>
>The Minitar APs are an excellent buy in my opinion, they have 18dBm output
>power, and are very compact units. so compact, they'll fit in the bottom
>end of a slotted waveguide (not in the active area obviously).
>
>The Minitars also run Linux. As in, when they ship, their 'firmware' is
>actually Linux, so this leaves a lot of possibilities open for experimenting
>as they come with a 200MHz CPU. I believe there is also serial port headers
>on the circuit board, although I'd need the full RTL8181 datasheet with
>pinout, which is not available on the Realtek site. The transciever IC
>is an all in one Philips SA2400, with no IF. The RF section of the board
>is very small.
>
>The Minitar PCMCIA or pure PCI cards are a steal at about $53, too. They
>should be able to run in AP mode using the Realtek drivers, especially
>considering that's what the APs run.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>-- Jon Teh
>
>.

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.